Thursday, April 23, 2015

Bechdel on Steroids

Luke mentioned that homoeroticism, and in turn, homophobia, being used as a punch line is very common in today’s society. Whether it be the scene in She’s the Man when Malvolio the tarantula is in Duke and Sebastian's room they're jumping up and down on the bed hugging and screaming, but when they realize they're hugging they separate and scream even louder, or the blatant, “paging Dr. Faggot” in “The Hangover.” I was so shocked to hear people actually laugh at that when it was in “The Hangover.” Albeit the timing was funny because his girlfriend/fiancée is so uptight, but the whole joke was that he was called a faggot, which she then repeated back to him, “you better go Dr. Faggot.” What makes that kind of stuff funny, like actually where is the humor in it? Is it funny to be called gay? Is faggot a funny-sounding word? Or is that just the worst possible insult his friends could think of and that’s why they shouted it through the window?

This is why I’m proposing a new Bechdel test to evaluate the level of homophobic behavior parallel to the amount of homosocial relationships in the movie. As we know from the original Bechdel test, it is rare for two women to be having an independent conversation not talking about getting a man or having kids. This offers plenty of opportunity for men to be talking about a variety of different things whether with other women or alone. Hence: lots of opportunity for homosocial bonding.
Alison Bechdel, creator of the original Bechdel test


The new Bechdel test would be:
1) Is there a direct conversation between two men not talking about getting a girl
2) Is there no sort of homosexual joke, parody behavior, or homophobic tension regarding that conversation

Answer is, probably not. Although many, many movies involve male bonding over a variety of things other than getting a woman, few of these movies go the full run time without a single homophobic joke or punch line. Even Ron Howard slips homophobia into his new movie, “The Dilemma” with the opening lines, “Electric cars are gay. Not homosexual gay, but ‘my parents are chaperoning the dance’ gay.” As a result Anderson Cooper stepped in and pointed it out on CNN, and the new trailer was not publicized heavily by any means. To come out of the blue at a time when we have been making strides towards anti-gay bullying and finally noticing the negative effects of gay jokes and gay targeting is beyond a punch line.

One movie that would pass the “new Bechdel test” is “Big Daddy” the Adam Sandler Movie when the two male lawyers, who had not had their sexual identities revealed to the audience, kissed passionately. When one character attempts homophobic behavior with the line, “I gotta admit, it weirded me out a little when those guys kissed.” Adam Sandler responds, “"Why? They’re gay. That’s what gay guys do."

In one fell swoop, gay people are demystified and romanticized – but not overly-sexualized. Woo hoo!

4 comments:

  1. So I just posted a really long comment and it disappeared so that sucks... I'll try to hopefully add as much as I can from before. :(

    I think this "new test" is such a good idea. Bechdel started this test because of social trends in entertainment and especially recently this trend is leaning a different direction towards homosexuality and homophobia.

    I remember being in middle school and it became super "popular" to call people "faggots" or use other terms such as retard, etc. I have always found this super offensive and stated my opinion on the matter when the terms were thrown around in playful manners. But, what I am thinking about now is the fact that I really didn't get that mad at the scene in Hangover you describe above. I think I became so used to seeing it in entertainment that it didn't even phase me. Now as I've gotten older and have been conscious of these issues, it definitely bothers me in any situation and I find myself wondering when it became acceptable to 1. use these terms in the first place 2. accept that we use these terms and 3. why it's even necessary to include these homophobic encounters in entertainment.

    Your test is awesome but I think I would separate it into 3 steps to make it more compatible with the actual Bechdel test.
    1. Are there 2 men who converse?
    2. Do they talk about something other than women/relationships with women/hooking up with women?
    3. Is there no homosexual joke/parody/homophobic tension? (This includes the sassy gay friend who is always used as a comedic ploy- there's no problem including the sassy gay friend but it's when his only role is to provide comedy.)



    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your idea of creating another Bechdel Test for homosexual presence in films. However, being that the current Bechdel Test we have for female presence in films is so inadequate, it feels like wishful thinking to create a test for an identity that's even more marginalized.

    Also, I thought it was interesting that you brought up how the word "faggot" is thought of as being funny. Clearly, there's nothing humorous about being gay. But certain movies that are passing themselves off as being progressive - like She's the Man - are sneakily trying to find a way around including straight up offensive, homophobic language. For instance, when I was reading the script for She's the Man, I noticed that at one point one of the jocks calls Sebastian/Viola a "twiglet." If I didn't know what the word "faggot" used to mean (a bundle of sticks), then I wouldn't have realized that it was a "clever" way for the writer to call Viola/Sebastian a "faggot" without actually having to say the word. So, maybe your test could also include instances like these?

    Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I did the Bechdel quiz replacement assignment too, and I think your quiz is also a great idea. However, there really should be a question of whether the women involved lack or have any real power other than that of their physical beauty. Likewise, for men, the Bechdel test should include a test as to whether men have any real "power" in terms of rights if this were truly an egalitarian society. Because, I think the reason why the Bechdel test matters is because women did not have any real power back in the day of Shakespeare: they could not vote, could not hold a high position of authority really (except for Queen Elizabeth, who was a big exception). I think society has come a long ways. I think the Bechdel test was designed for the purpose of making sure women aren't viewed as just sexual objects but that's just me; you could switch it around to men if you like ;).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I did the Bechdel quiz replacement assignment too, and I think your quiz is also a great idea. However, there really should be a question of whether the women involved lack or have any real power other than that of their physical beauty. Likewise, for men, the Bechdel test should include a test as to whether men have any real "power" in terms of rights if this were truly an egalitarian society. Because, I think the reason why the Bechdel test matters is because women did not have any real power back in the day of Shakespeare: they could not vote, could not hold a high position of authority really (except for Queen Elizabeth, who was a big exception). I think society has come a long ways. I think the Bechdel test was designed for the purpose of making sure women aren't viewed as just sexual objects but that's just me; you could switch it around to men if you like ;).

    ReplyDelete